Southwest hiking destination gaining deadly reputation
Brian Witte / AP, file
A rock formation known as The Wave in the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument in Arizona is one of the region’s most popular hikes. Permits are only issued by lottery for 20 hikers a day.
By Paul Foy, Associated Press
They left their two young children with relatives and set off to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary at one of the most beautiful hiking destinations in the Southwest.
Months earlier, the luck of a draw had brought Anthony and Elisabeth Ann Bervel coveted hiking permits for The Wave, a region of richly colored sandstone patterns near the Utah-Arizona border.
But just hours into Monday’s trek, 27-year-old Elisabeth Bervel died of cardiac arrest, becoming the third hiker in a month to succumb to the brutal summer heat and disorienting open country where no marked trail shows the way.
Read the rest of this entry
昨天费劲巴拉的找回来WP的页面和密码，就是为了记一笔两周前的大峡谷环线之旅，拍拍自己的小肩膀，夸夸自己这把年纪还能完成如此艰险的行程，基本做到了不掉队不拖后腿，虽然所有的辎重都是掌柜的从头到尾一人扛起，我只负责驮着自己已经有些中年发福的身躯；虽然在走最辛苦的Rim to River in one day那一天，我筋疲力尽到坐在地上没羞没臊地哭了。。。三次， 但是不论过程是多么的狼狈，结果是辉煌的（对我来说)，八天里，我们总共用自己的双腿丈量了七十多英里（近113公里），净落差(elevation gain)有一万三千多英尺(近400米），这些，对于一个学生时代永远的体育课困难户来说，无异于完成mission impossible一般伟大。
By Erik Qualman | August 11, 2009
Is Social Media a Fad or the biggest shift since the Industrial Revolution? Welcome to the Social Media Revolution:
Stats from Video (sources listed below by corresponding #)
- By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers….96% of them have joined a social network
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media
- Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)…Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months…iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia (note that Facebook is now creeping up – recently announced 300 million users)
- Yet, some sources say China’s QZone is larger with over 300 million using their services (Facebook’s ban in China plays into this)
- comScore indicates that Russia has the most engage social media audience with visitors spending 6.6 hours and viewing 1,307 pages per visitor per month – Vkontakte.ru is the #1 social network
- 2009 US Department of Education study revealed that on average, online students out performed those receiving face-to-face instruction
- 1 in 6 higher education students are enrolled in online curriculum
- % of companies using LinkedIn as a primary tool to find employees….80%
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females
- Ashton Kutcher and Ellen Degeneres (combined) have more Twitter followers than the population of Ireland, Norway, or Panama. Note I have adjusted the language here after someone pointed out the way it is phrased in the video was difficult to determine if it was combined. Read the rest of this entry